Tor 1 – Works Gate 1. Duisburg-rheinhausen
Today it is scarcely imaginable that behind „Tor 1“ (Works Gate 1) once stood one of the largest steelworks in the industrial Ruhr valley. Built according to drawings by Cologne architect Peter Neufert in the years around 1957 and 1958, Tor 1 was the entrance building for a 300 hectare steelworks site employing several thousand people. With the downturn in steel production in the 1980s and the closure of the Krupp Works in Duisburg Rheinhausen, the building ceased to have any function and was left to fall into disrepair. In 1998, the site started on its way to a renaissance. Since then, Duisburger Hafen AG has developed the land into one of the largest logistics centres in Europe. Against the background of the fluctuating fortunes of over 100 years of steel production, Tor 1 was refurbished true in every detail in compliance with listed building legislation and brought back to its original condition set in understated landscape architecture. The striking prestressed concrete gateway has a commemorative plaque referring to the industrial history of Rheinhausen, industrial strife and the final reclamation of the tradition-rich site – the former functional building thus becomes an industrial monument.